Gap Year Design & Support
For ages 17-21: Graduating high school students, home/unschoolers, and college-aged young people who aren’t attending college
Instead of joining an expensive program, I’ll help you custom-design an affordable and meaningful independent gap year—you’ll learn more, grow more, and save thousands in the process. I also offer ongoing support while you’re taking your gap year, helping you stay on track as a self-directed learner.
I offer this service through my company Unschool Adventures—please visit Individual Adventures.
Check out these articles I’ve written about gap years and related topics:
- Tools for Building a Cheap and Meaningful Gap Year (personal blog)
- What Matters More Than Talent: Meta-Learning (Gap Year Association)
- 20 Non-Awkward Ways to Meet People While Traveling Solo (HuffPo)
Watch this short video where I explain the idea of postponing college to take a gap year. (I took first place award at the event!)
College Prep & Portfolios
For ages 15-21: Home/unschoolers & alternative school students
For non-traditionally prepared teenagers thinking seriously about 4-year college, I offer concrete guidance that will enable you to continue following your interests while also preparing for competitive college admissions. I also design beautiful portfolios that tell your educational story in a clear and compelling way.
Example portfolio: a portfolio I built for a college-bound 16-year-old in 2018.
Grab a copy of my first book, College Without High School: A Teenager’s Guide to Skipping High School and Going to College, online or at your local library. (Yes, I literally “wrote the book” on this subject.) 🙂
For ages 13-19: Home/unschoolers, both brand-new & long-time
For teenagers beginning their unschooling journey (or continuing it) I offer inspirational coaching to help you make the most of your freedom and opportunities. Since 2010 I’ve served as long-term coach to over a dozen unschooling teens and short-term coach to hundreds more.
Here are a few articles I’ve written about homeschooling and unschooling:
- Four Reasons to Quit School and Become a Teenage Homeschooler (HuffPo)
- Okay, You’ve Graduated from Homeschool. Now What? (HuffPo)
Here are some relevant podcast interviews:
- Interview with Carsie Blanton on growing up 100% unschooled
- Interview with Liam Nilsen on who should unschool and who shouldn’t
- Interview with Milla von Tauber on how to explain yourself as an unschooler
- Interview with Caitlyn Scheel on convincing your parents to let you homeschool
Finally, don’t miss Launchpad, the email-based online course that I created for self-directed teens wanting to sharpen their goal-setting, motivation, and accountability.
For parents of all ages and stages.
Indie parents are resourceful, self-directed, and autonomous—yet even they can sometimes benefit from outside guidance. While I don’t have kids myself, my 200+ weeks of running programs for highly independent 14- to 21-year-olds gives me a unique perspective on how help your child transition from home into the world.